Well hello there, Oxford

January 8th, 2016 hrhoes17
Up, up, and away

Up, up, and away!

Good morning! (Well, afternoon for us here in the UK). I only arrived in Oxford around 1:00am England time this morning, so my biological clock is still tuned into good ol’ Central Time. Now that I’m finally awake, there’s a few errands I’ve got to run today: get some groceries, buy a few more hangers for my closet (ok, so I brought back more clothes… You got me). Hopefully, with the help of a little melatonin and hot tea, I’ll be able to get to bed a little earlier tonight (last night I managed to fall asleep around 5:00am, which was less than ideal). With a little luck, the jet lag will be mostly flushed out of my system by Monday when training camp for rowing begins. As I have absolutely no ideal what that will entail, I’ll have to tell you about that next time!

So far, it feels really good to be back. Although I had a moment last night where I all of a sudden realised that I was now 3,000+ miles from home, I took a deep breath and looked up from my pillow: the cork board on the wall was full of pictures and flyers; the desk was covered in dirty dishes, magazines, and office supplies; the book shelf was stocked with books and journals and snacks and pictures and a stack of used maps and museum brochures. The room was lived in, and loved. I was home; right now in my life, I just happen to have more than one! Though I miss Minnesota – let’s be honest, I will always miss Minnesota – I am excited to get back to all of the amazing things that come with a year in Oxford: friends, tutorials, cycling everywhere, traveling… The list is wonderfully endless.

Xxxx,

HRH

_________________________________________________________________________

New Words of the Week will be back next post!