Week 1, Hilary Term

January 21st, 2016 hrhoes17

We’ve now almost come to the end of 1st week, and things are really great here. By coming back to the UK a little early I was able to have a few days to recuperate, catch up on my jet lag (which I miserably failed at), and altogether get reoriented to Oxford life. Unfortunately, the river has been flooded for a few weeks now, making it unable for us to row – ergo, rowing camp was kind of a bust (erging, erging, and more erging). To take advantage of having a little more flexibility in our schedule than planned, fellow HoCro student Katrina and I made a day trip down to Brighton, which was absolutely incredible! Brighton is a city on the southern coast of England, and features a rustic pier (arcade and amusement park rides included), rocky beaches, shopping, and Trafalger Street, which is home to a monumental exhibition of street art (Katrina the art major was in heaven).

I also decided to make a three-day visit to York to visit another Crusader, Sarah Slipek. I was rather surprised, as I hadn’t been aware of how well known York is for being a tourist destination; but it was a beautiful city, and there was plenty to see that Sarah could show me without having to pay entrance fees. We also got the chance to spend a night exploring with my friend Elliot, who is an Oxford student who was home in York for the day.

Other than that, life has pretty much gone back to normal here at Mansfield: rowing, tutorials (this term, Medical Anthropology of the Senses and Anthropology of Gender), playing rounds and rounds of pool, attending talks at the Union… Normal, and totally fabulous.

Cheers,

HRH

_________________________________________________________________________

New Words of the Week

mardy adj. – to be in a bad mood; grumpy, pissy

dosh n. – cash money

plaster n. – band-aid